My focus is on non Euro-centric art, pop art, the functional uses of art, popular culture, and the visual arts of performance and cinematic traditions.
Previous research topics have included:
- the role of art in the formation of the National Parks Service
- the reflection of the cold war in pop medias
- the role of women in the revolutionary musics of Zimbabwe
- the role of music in Piet Mondrian's abstract art
I have been working on a music minor with a focus in ethnomusicology and have been fortunate to work with talented musicians and researchers in that field. Ethnomusicology presents art history with questions such as:
- How do we consider the treatment of instruments in museum spaces? (Are instruments in museum collections still playable? Is maintaining functionality part of preservation?)
- Is wear and tear through function an important consideration of these ascetically valuable objects?
- How do we convey the objects as not only visual but auditory and performative?
- What role does sound and/or music play in art?